Saturday, November 12, 2022

Making Percussion Caps

Buy yours here.
In 2022 we are all experiencing a shortage of black powder components. Besides powder, percussion caps are one of those things that can be very hard to find. Gone are the days when you could find them at bargain basement prices at gun shows, or from the suttler at your local rendezvous. Now, we're all scrambling to find caps and paying whatever the vendor wants.

Friend Michael suggested there might be some interest in  a Muzzleloader Magazine article on how to make percussion caps from aluminum soda cans. Dixie Gun Works sold such a cap maker, and I am sure most of us asked ourselves, "Why would I bother?" Considering the difficulty in finding caps, this article was especially prescient. Unfortunately, copying the article for publication is a definite copywrite infringement, so I decided to see what I could find on the net.

Whenever possible, I cite the original document, and when using a photograph I didn't make myself, I give credit to the originator, or the vendor selling the product. The link to this product will be found in the caption portion below the photograph.

Now I can't vouch for the safety of the process, or the reliability of the finished product. So if you decide to pursue this, you're on your own.


This video from Hoffman Productions appeared straight forward, and is a good place to start.

Good luck!