Saturday, January 13, 2024

Lucky’s Trekking Tips - Muzzle Blasts October 2023

Before I get going on this series of trekking by horse, I must admit upfront that I am by no means an expert on horses. I have never trained a horse and only ever owned one horse in my life, Bubbles. When it comes to horseback riding and trekking, everything I have learned was from several of the finest horsemen I know. Early on in life I learned we have two ears and one mouth, and they are to be used in that proportion. So, when my friends spoke, I listened!

Horse trekking is a very different form of trekking than on foot. On foot, you realize that you must limit your gear based on what you can carry on your back and when selecting a camp there are many options if you have water with you. On horseback, this is not so much of a problem. Today we will dive into my philosophy on horses, horse care and priorities to get this series kicked off, and then dive into the required gear each month.


When trekking on horseback, it is my opinion that your horse is your priority. Everything from water, to feed, healthcare and how much it is carrying must be considered. Sitting atop your horse on a trek is not a sightseeing tour. Every moment is relegated to looking for the safest path, good water and grass, and keeping an eye out for predators, if they are in your area. Horses are prey animals, and their first instinct is flight, so with that in mind, you must always be ready or looking to avoid the things that will spook them. We all know those pesky butterflies can devour a horse in a single bite!

Camp selection is no longer about you; it is about your horse, period. Again, things like grass and water are what your horse needs to stay well-nourished to carry you and your gear. You need enough room to picket your horse so it can graze all evening, and then a place for your camp where you can keep an eye on them.

When selecting gear, if you thought what you carry on foot is minimal, it gets even more minimal when on a horse. A horse can carry about 20% of its body weight. Bubbles is about 1100 pounds, which means she can comfortably carry about 220 pounds that includes me. Typically, I weigh around 190, which leaves about 30 pounds for gear. Bubbles is a Kiger Mustang of Spanish descent, and they are known for their ability in endurance riding, so after a lot of training she can carry a bit more, but each horse is different.

This brings me to the point that horses are athletes just like us. A (700 mile trip like I made) is not something you do on a whim. They must be exercised to reach that ability just like an Olympic athlete. That means starting with short 5-mile rides and over the course of 6 months making them longer each week. If you have the means to own and keep a horse, then invest in the gear, horse trekking is very rewarding, challenging and exciting. I prefer it over foot trekking!

Next month I will dive into the horse gear that you will need piece by piece. For now, enjoy this great picture of Bubbles with all my gear loaded on her during our ride on the Ashley’s Return trip. Happy trails and it was good seeing many of you at the Hawken Classic!

Reprinted with permission from the author.