Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Lucky's Trekking Tips - Muzzle Blasts September 2024

First Aid: One thing I do not leave the house without, whether trekking or in my truck, is a first aid kit. On our Ashley’s Return trip, between the three of us and everyone that joined in on the 95-day journey, we never had to pull out the first aid kit we packed. However, on the last day of the Battle of Monmouth two weeks ago, while packing, I cut my finger leaving a ¾ inch gash! Of all the dumb luck on a three-day event, this was a dilly!

My modern first aid kit was two steps away hanging off the back of my driver side truck seat, so I was able to clean and wrap it to get back to packing. Talk about feeling stupid! You just never know. The first aid kit in my truck is the one we carried in an oilcloth bag for 95 days. It was a purchased kit that we added sutures and other things recommended by friends in the medical field.

My trekking kit for foot or horse is in the copper container pictured. It’s an 1800s stove top autoclave for sterilizing medical equipment. I bought it because it is so solid that it can ride in my saddle bags without getting crushed. In the past I have used round tins readily available at events. They work great as well. Whatever you get it should pack easily and not be a burden while holding what you need.

Inside I have 10-12 band aids, butterflies, tape, gauze pad, flat sponges, Imodium, triple anti-biotic ointment, Tinactin and Nu Skin. However, this is not an Allen compassing list. Tailor your first aid kit to what you need. Depending on your trail pards you may want to throw in an EpiPen. You never know who is allergic to bees or other such creepy crawlies.

The most common items should be for cuts, eyes and consider Silvadene for burns. We have all grabbed that coffee pot forgetting that the handle was burning hot! Consider some kind of saline in a small bottle for rinsing out an eye, and hydrogen peroxide for cleaning a wound. In the woods, you can use pine sap, which is a natural antiseptic with antibacterial properties. Natural remedies are great to know, even the basics, but sometimes you simply need a good old band aid and tape. Don’t forget that your bottle of whiskey is great for cleaning a wound!

I highly recommend putting one together and always having it with you, it is a good habit. The space and weight is well worth the sacrifice, but like other things, talk to your trekking buddies and ensure one of you has one. No need carrying more than one of anything. But this is one not to go without!

It was great to see so many folks in Friendship for the Spring Shoot and I appreciate the positive feedback on these articles! See you on the trail or around a fire soon! 

Written by Gerry "Lucky" Messmer. Reprinted with permission from the author.