Wednesday, June 8, 2022

The Haversack


Order Yours Here.
The Haversack: My own trekking supplies are packed in a linen haversack identical to one pictured here. An interesting historical note is that linen was the fabric of choice because cotton was prohibitively expensive due to the amount of labor involved in its processing. 

Costs aside, the haversack is more practical in some ways. The design allows for easier access to your sundries because, when compared to the snapsack. It has wider top access, but is shallower in depth. While its envelope construction is easier to manufacture, it doesn't accommodate bulky items as well as a bag whose construction includes gussets on the sides. Instead of an envelope, you would now have a "box", the superior design for carrying bulkier items. More on that later.

Order Yours Here.
I normally carry my haversack diagonally across my chest so it hangs on my left side. Its contents are very similar to the items listed in the eighteenth century bugout bag. As an aside, I had to cut about 4" from the shoulder strap, as it hung below my hips when I received it. Now, I'm 5' 6" tall, so if you're taller than I am, the strap will probably be just right.

When selecting a haversack, be sure that it's roomy enough to carry your bulkiest items. Muzzleloader Magazine contributor Mark A. Baker managed to squeeze both a corn boiler and folding frying pan into his, and with careful packing, arranged them in a way to minimize discomfort while on the trail. He makes extensive use of bags, and can position those with softer contents to locations next to the body to provide some semblance of comfort. Mr. Baker appeared in five Long Hunter DVD series available from Crazy Crow. Just so that you know, Volume Two gives the best overview of life on the frontier. Incidentally, he added additional straps to his haversack, technically making it a knapsack.

Get Yours Here.
Knapsacks: If "across the chest" shoulder carry isn't to your liking, you can convert your haversack from a single strap to a double strap. When done, you essentially have a knapsack. While it is possible to jump from haversack to rucksack by adding some straps, the result may not be as comfortable as you might think.

You can see from this knapsack started as a large haversack, and appears roomy enough to carry as much as you can bear.  If you look closely at our militiaman, you can see the two should straps attached to the knapsack, the white across-the-shoulder strap for what appears to be a cartridge box, along with a rope to hold his canteen.

Speaking Of Canteens: I'm quite sure our subject is carrying one of Townsend's Canteens, identical to the one I use. If you ever carried a canteen, you have an idea of just how heavy water can be. And that rope is going to get uncomfortable really fast. Do as I did: After removing the rope, I bought some 2" wide cotton webbing and cut a piece to the desired length. Then I folded/rolled the ends and worked them through the pipes on the canteen's side.  Finally, I tied a knot in each end to keep the webbing in place. You'll find it much more comfortable.