Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Lucky's Trekking Tips - Muzzle Blasts June 2024

Eastern Cottonwood

The Birds Nest: When it comes to plant and tree identification, I am not the best at it. However, the one tree I have learned to identify is the Western and Eastern Cottonwood. On our Ashley’s Return Trip, we saw them, naturally, along the waterways we traveled. What makes them special is their inner bark, which I have pictured. It is unsurpassed for making a lifesaving bird's nest for a fire.

As a plus the inner bark of western cottonwood was used by Native Americans to feed their horses during the long cold winter. Many trapper journals talk about feeding their critters bark to keep them alive. 


Western Cottonwood
For the natural medicine folks, the bark is also called “Balm of Gilead.” A compound within it is salicin, found in the leaves, buds, and bark, lowers fevers, reduces inflammation, and eases pain. Cottonwood bud oil is a favorite remedy for swollen arthritic joints and sore muscles. 


This inner bark is like super dry paper and takes a spark well, burning hot so you can feed it with twigs to build up your fire. After returning from our journey, I took to the woods to find the Eastern Cottonwood and it is almost identical to the western cottonwood. There are plenty of them on the ground to pull back the outer bark and harvest the wooden gold underneath.


I highly recommend always carrying an oilcloth bag with you to save dry material for fire starting. I have one about eight inches long and 4 inches in diameter stuffed with the inner bark of both western and eastern Cottonwood. In the past, in the east I have used tow. Tow is an acceptable material for Longhunter’s as it was a common item and available. Others use unraveled rope, although most modern rope is treated for fire resistance and generally not usable. Some older rope is still ok as I have a bit of it. 


On some trips I have used a real bird’s nest when I can find them. When the leaves are still on, they are quite hard to find, but after fall it seems they just pop out everywhere! 


If I see a very tiny hummingbird nest, I do leave that alone. In the end, cottonwoods seem to be everywhere.


It was great seeing many of you at Fort Frederick and The Hawken Classic. My next event is the Gunmakers Fair at Kempton where I will be doing a horse trekking seminar. Hope to see you there!


Written by Gerry "Lucky" Messmer. Reprinted with permission from the author.