Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Lucky's Trekking Tips - Muzzle Blasts, April 2023

The Shirt Off Your Back: My first love in re-enacting and favorite era is the colonial period and specifically the Revolutionary War. My ultimate hero, as a retired Army Colonel, is President John Adams, who was the reason General Washington had an Army, uniforms and was supplied, even as little as they received. Adams fought continuously for Washington's every need to ensure success and a free nation. 

In the beginning trekking as militia or eastern longhunter I started off with the typical cotton knee breeches, socks and shirt. In one year, I spent 65 days in the woods testing my gear and trekking skills. By the end of the 65 days the knee breeches were shredded, and the shirt had so many repairs it looked like a patchwork quilt. 

So, the quest started again to find better clothing. I came to favor brain tan knee breeches, made by Oliver McCloskey, a common item in the colonial era. They were the blue jeans of today, rugged, durable, and more protection than cotton. They wear extremely well and in thick, thorny brush give great protection. 

My leggings are a pair of “saved list stroud wool” leggings I replicated from an original Native American pair in a museum. They add a nice layer and when riding my horse are great protection. In the summer they really are not hot and quite comfortable, but in the winter, they add a nice layer of protection and warmth. 

I have been through many shirts and even hand sewing a couple of my own but, have found that you can’t beat a shirt by Danielle Crosbie who owns Four Winds Fashions. Her clothing is custom made and if you need an adjustment here or there, she can do it. Recently, Danielle sent me this new shirt and waistcoat that fit impeccably. She will machine or hand sew at your request. She also offers woodsman frocks and other clothing items. 

To top this off I wear a brain tan George Rogers Clark or Metis style coat that I hand sewed myself. A picture of one can be seen in The Longhunter’s Sketchbook by Dr. James A. Hanson. This is a great reference for all things Longhunter and trekking. The coat adds that final layer of protection and a bit of warmth. 

In extreme cold weather I layer up with another wool shirt. In the heat of the summer, I call it mosquito armor to keep those pesky little flying needles off me! 

To top it all off, I wear a simple wool felt round hat with a rosette cockade and pewter button holding up the left side. I have had this hat for over 20 years, and it continues to serve me well, whether keeping the rain and snow off or to fan a fire, it is rugged and functional. No matter what you choose, it will always be an evolving journey. I always try to ensure my styles and materials are the proper time period and for ultimate representation, I default to hand sewn. Happy trails and I hope to see you around a fire or running through the woods!

Special thanks to Lucky Messmer for allowing us to reprint his trekking articles. Incidentally, the format has been modified slightly for your reading pleasure. Earlier posts from this blog can be found here:

  • "Dressing The Part". Click here.